Working with Separate Branches

 Lab 4 - Adding Feautures and Working on Separate Git Branches

This week I worked adding and updating features to my CLI url status checker, DeadOrNot. I choose to update my link filtering flags to have my clear option names as all as add a flag for displaying all link information. 

Setting up Separate Branches 

I started out my creating two issues on github repo detailing the changes I was about to make. Then I made branches to match each of those issues. This has actually helped to maintain an orderly work flow as opposed to the more disorganized style of coding I fall into sometimes while working on projects. Having the issues separated in separate branches made it easier to stay focused on a singular task as opposed to trying to work on multiple things at once which is something I tend to do. 

Merging the Branches to Master Branch 

I thought the process of combining my changes to the master branch would be more difficult but the process was relatively simple and that is encouraging moving forward I can try to work in this more organized fashion always. I started by committing my two separate branches (a75a535 , ca77f96). Once I did that I merged the first one to the master branch and then before I merged the second one to the master branch I fixed any conflicting changes. I closed the issues I created with its corresponding link to the commits I made and I was done. 

Final Thoughts

Overall working in this style has helped me learn a way to work that can both help me stay focused on a single task as well as keep me organized.  

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Adding Features and Pull Request

Planning for Release 0.4

Release 0.4 Progress - Organizing the code