Release 0.2 3rd Pull Request

Introduction
For this pull request, I wanted to build the confidence to work with a larger open source project. I was able to find the perfect oppurtunity to build my confidence in working in larger more complex projects with Pandas. Pandas is a data analysis tool that I have used before with python and it was powerful and highly recommended so contributing to the project was something that really interested me. 

Issue 
The code base for pandas was pretty complex and intimidating so for my first contribution I wanted to find an issue that was fairly simple just so I could get a feel for the contributing process for such a larger project. I was able to find an issue that had been filed that was marked as good for first time contributors. The issue was that they had several files that they wanted to move away from using dict() to create dictionaries and instead used python literal dicts to avoid having to ignore the flake8 errors they caused. Fixing this would be fairly simple so I picked a number of the files they had named in the issue and got to work. 

Pull Request 

Once I cloned the code base from github, I found the files I had decided to work and found all the calls to dict() and replaced them with literaly dicts. After each file I committed those changes. Once I was finished with all the files, I made sure they files were linted using flake8 and formatted using black like was indicted in the contributing documents. This was fairly easy as I had just learned how to use these tools in a recent lab and already had them set up. Once I was happy, I made a pull request. The biggest difference with this pull request opposed to others I have made was how extensive the pre-committ checks and workflow actions were. The pull request had to go through 16 checks which in total took over an hour to complete. It was really interesting to see that with larger projects how the level of testing has to be extremely robust to keep code bug free. I think thats what will really stay with me the most from this pull request. Once my checks passed( 2 actually failed but from other pull requests that also had those check fail, I learned this was unrelated to the changes I had made) my request was approved and merged and the developers thanked me. 

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Adding Features and Pull Request

Planning for Release 0.4